Friday, 16 October 2009

Question 1: creativity and genre

Looking back on all my media projects I feel that, generally, I have been quite creative with my initial ideas and have tried to be as different as possible to existing media.
My music magazine was quite redundant as it contained all conventions of a magazine, but the genre I feel was quite entropic as the music style I chose you don't see around that much, so was specific to one target audience.
The video I made at the very start of the media course was quite entropic as it broke conventions of usual filming, however this may have been just because we made errors in filming as we had never used the technology before. The initial idea was very redundant as it was typical of a short extract of film conveying a conversation between two people and was predictable throughout.
I feel the music video we are now planning is mainly entropic as we are going against conventions of popular music videos. This is mainly because of the small budget we are working with but also because we really want to portray the 'homemade' feel.
However there are aspects of redundancy as some frames portray the lyrics literally, but without in depth meaning. It is quite redundant in regards to genre, as most indie videos are trying to be different and individual. Therefore our video would attract the indie audience.
I don't feel that my work has any type of signature to it, because each one is fulfilling a different purpose and appealing to different audiences so calls for fresh ideas. However the genre I choose is generally the same - non-mainstream, individual and alternative as opposed to what appeals to the mass mainstream.

1 comment:

  1. Good reflections on your own creativity here Emily - well done.

    ReplyDelete